Rule Name: Book Chapter Availability Lookup
What this Rule Does:
Looks at all article requests in your main lending queues (e.g. Awaiting Lending Request Processing):
- Determines if the request is a book chapter request (differentiates between issn and isbn)
- Searches your z39.50 for availability information, and then either
- Cancels in OCLC and Illiad, using appropriate cancellation reason in both systems, if book chapter is requested from something that is checked out or in a collection from which you do not scan.
- If available to scan, Imports call number and location information into transaction in ILLiad.
- Routes to specified queue, which could be Awaiting Stacks Searching or another custom queue.
Why would you want to use this Rule?
- Automates availability checking and cancelling of book chapter requests.
- Allows libraries to deflect book chapter requests from collections that they will not scan from (i.e. Rare Books collections).
What is needed to use this Rule?
- Be an active user of IDS Logic
- Set up Lending Availability Service through IDS Logic, including Z39.50 settings.
- Determine what collections are:
- Not available for scanning (will be automatically cancelled)
- Always available for scanning but may not be “available” in your catalog.
Figure 1:Transaction Detail of Book Chapter Availability Lookup transaction demonstrating the fields and information updated by IDS Logic.
Figure 2: Transaction detail of book chapter request automatically cancelled by Logic as the book was checked out.